Associate – Corporate, Energy
This is an excellent opportunity for an Associate with proven energy and renewables experience to join the Energy team. Our team regularly represents clients across the entire energy ecosystem, including developers, investors and suppliers, on clean energy transactions within the UK and internationally. The team have advised across all technologies including offshore and onshore wind, solar PV, energy storage, combined heat and power, district heating and cooling, electric vehicles, geothermal, hydro, wave and tidal.
The team has vast expertise advising on the legal and commercial constraints within which clean energy projects have to operate, which includes:
- the appropriate corporate structure required to deliver the energy solution
- requirements under the planning consenting and environmental permitting regime
- drafting of robust construction and O&M provisions in the project agreements
- regulation of electricity including the revenue generating offtake arrangements
- advice on land right issues, including property procurement and required utility infrastructure works
- project financing and structuring.
- Managing complex, often fast-moving, client matters, identifying and analysing all legal and commercial issues
- Working alongside Partners and lawyers at all levels in the department to ensure the delivery of commercially focused work, completed to high quality and consistent standards
- Ensuring delivery of client-focused work, completed to high quality and consistent standards
- Acting as a trusted adviser through demonstrating and applying a thorough understanding of the client's needs and risks
- Contributing to the team's business development activities, including thought leadership
- Assisting the team in responding to a wide range of urgent and time critical queries from clients
You will be able to demonstrate;
- Proven experience in a similar role, including experience advising on energy and renewables projects including advising on: energy regulatory frameworks, grid connection arrangements, offtake arrangements (including novel PPAs, route-to-market arrangements and revenue contracts), negotiating project documents and advising on their 'bankability' and energy-sector commercial agreements.
- The ability to deal with complex client issues
- Excellent understanding of legal and commercial constraints
- A commercial approach to problem solving
- Excellent organisational skills: working to tight deadlines where the input of others is often required, managing and prioritising your own workload
- Thoroughness and excellent attention to detail with the ability to perform in a high volume, deadline-orientated role
- A confident and effective written and verbal communication style
- The ability to interpret instructions correctly and act upon them
- Comfort using your own initiative and taking responsibility where necessary and appropriate
- The willingness to take responsibility for your own workload, working as part of the team to ensure client and business needs are met
- Strong analytical abilities with a keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Good organisational skills, record keeping and file management
- Flexibility in approach
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Staff Introductory Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
We are a London based, full-service law firm, specialising in providing straightforward advice to entrepreneurial businesses and individuals on domestic and international matters.
We have grown substantially in recent years, including two mergers and an office move. We’ve also matured in terms of our approach to providing advice to our clients, seeking to simplify and improve the experience of working with a modern, independent law firm.
We’re proud of our journey. Without losing sight of where we’ve come from, we are focused on where we’re going. We are evolving and growing every day. And just like our clients, we are ambitious and moving forward. Many of our clients are entrepreneurial, ambitious enterprises who are often privately or family owned, or private equity backed. We are one of the only London based law firms with a large private wealth offering alongside significant business law capability.
The firm also advises major corporates on particular specialist legal matters who find our straightforward approach a compelling alternative to larger, less personal firms.