Senior Associate - Real Estate Finance
We are looking for a Senior Associate to join our Banking & Real Estate Finance team to work predominantly with lenders in the review of comprehensive property packs in order to prepare reports on title / certificates of title to enable the lender to determine whether to provide funding in respect of a property. The candidate will work with other members of the Banking & Real Estate Finance (BREF) team to progress transactions through from instruction to completion.
The role of the team is to act as a central processing unit for institutional and non-institutional lenders and borrowers in funding transactions. The majority of the team's work is currently property based but this is not exclusive and we also work on corporate and more specialised funding work.
- Raising initial mortgagee enquiries in respect of property finance instructions
- Reviewing property due diligence provided by solicitors acting for borrowers, opining on structuring, development aspects and occupational rights
- Raising additional enquiries as appropriate following review of property information, experience with all property types is advantageous
- Reviewing valuation reports and other reports prepared by professional advisers to assist a lender in considering the suitability of a property for lending purposes and liaising with those professional advisers as appropriate
- Drafting reports on title / short form certificates of title for lenders
- Preparation of City of London Law Society Certificates of Title
- Assisting with the satisfaction of conditions precedent in respect of loans (focussing on the property side of a transaction)
- Responding to client queries in respect of any property issues identified;
- Supervision and development of junior team members
- Assisting with drawdown (including the preparation and negotiation of completion undertakings etc)
- Working with colleagues in the team to finalise security and other finance documents as may be necessary
- Arranging for registration of security documentation at the appropriate governmental registries as may be appropriate
- Dealing with post-completion enquiries and ultimately arranging for the return to the client of finance documentation. In all the above the person in the role will be expected to be aware of the principal concerns of lenders and be sensitive to the needs and concerns of borrowing clients, specifically the likely effect of any defects in the security or any impact on value
- Working alongside colleagues within the team to ensure that often very tight deadlines to complete matters are hit
- Dealing with enquiries from borrowers’ solicitors
- Contributing to the effectiveness of work flow, including attending departmental and other appropriate briefings to assess current and future needs
- Effective prioritising of work to ensure that transactions are dealt with in a timely manner
Ideally you will be able to demonstrate;
- Post -qualification experience in a relevant real estate or real estate finance team.
- Experience of acting for banks and other lenders preferred but not essential.
- Experience in handling high volume work and working under pressure.
- Familiarity with property titles in order to be able to identify and highlight points on a property title that may be of concern to lenders and to suggest solutions to those points, with training.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and clients at all levels.
- The ability to interpret instructions correctly and act upon them. You will also be comfortable, and have sound judgement, regarding using own initiative and taking responsibility where necessary and appropriate.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to perform in a high volume, deadline-orientated role.
- Good attention to detail.
- Discretion, with a sound understanding of client confidentiality.
- A keen interest in developing your marketing and business development skills.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Staff Introductory Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
We are a London based, full-service law firm, specialising in providing straightforward advice to entrepreneurial businesses and individuals on domestic and international matters.
We have grown substantially in recent years, including two mergers and an office move. We’ve also matured in terms of our approach to providing advice to our clients, seeking to simplify and improve the experience of working with a modern, independent law firm.
We’re proud of our journey. Without losing sight of where we’ve come from, we are focused on where we’re going. We are evolving and growing every day. And just like our clients, we are ambitious and moving forward. Many of our clients are entrepreneurial, ambitious enterprises who are often privately or family owned, or private equity backed. We are one of the only London based law firms with a large private wealth offering alongside significant business law capability.
The firm also advises major corporates on particular specialist legal matters who find our straightforward approach a compelling alternative to larger, less personal firms.