Senior Business Development Manager, Real Estate
The firm has recently developed a new three-year business plan which will see it grow to around £80 million revenue, including through the recruitment of a number of new partners. While growth is planned in each of the firm's practices, Real Estate is a key component of our firm and historically, the largest department. Our growth in this area requires the support of a strong and effective business development programme.
Our Real Estate practice comprises over 90 fee-earning legal staff and is the largest within the firm. We advise developers, house builders and property investors, as well as national and international retail and leisure clients and other property occupiers. Our advice extends to all stages of the real estate life cycle.
We have an exciting requirement for a Senior Business Development Manager to provide BD support for our Real Estate sector group. This is currently the largest group within the firm and involves supporting the activities of the wider Real Estate department (including Planning and Construction), our Corporate Real Estate team, and our Real Estate Dispute Resolution team - and so involves much coordination across the firm.
The BDM must have a proactive approach to their work and have strong influencing skills in order to advise effectively at partner level. The role sits within the Business Development & Marketing team, but obviously works very closely with the Real Estate Department. They will have line management responsibility for an assistant and will work closely with other members of the 17-strong team who will provide communications and digital marketing support.
As well as providing day-to-day support for these groups, the Senior BDM will be required to deputise for the BD&MD from time to time, as well as providing general mentoring to other members of the BD&M team. In addition to leading on the BD activities of this group, the role will also provide support and be required to lead on agreed firmwide BD projects, such as improving our pitch and tender processes, and cross-firm targeting initiatives. These will be agreed following further discussion with the BD&MD. The role would suit an accomplished Business Development Manager seeking additional responsibility and growth.
- As well as undertaking the day-to-day role of managing the BD initiatives of the sector group, the role will also contribute to the leadership of the wider BD team in delivering strategically sound, targeted and well executed business development initiatives.
- Development of strong effective credible relationships with Partners and practice/sector group based on knowledge of the Firm, the practices/sectors, the markets and the different personalities involved.
- Providing support for responses to tender, ad-hoc pitching and provision of credentials as part of the sales process.
- Identification of new markets for the practice to exploit.
- Strengthening the business development and marketing capability of the Practice's lawyers and raise their awareness of the help and value the business development team can provide.
- Providing a coaching resource to Partners to help them focus on the right opportunities, develop their marketing and selling skills in order develop their creativity and facilitate their strategy to the implementation phase.
- Developing robust annual plans as well as budgets.
Contributing to BD
- Enhancing the reputation of the BD team within the Firm for its professionalism and for the strategic and distinctive value it provides.
- Defining and assisting in the development of marketing and business development plan for cross-firm initiatives.
- Assisting the BD&MD in leading agreed cross-firm projects.
- Be seen as a role model in the BD team.
Leadership & Management
- Provide oversight and direction to other team members using coaching, mentoring and other development initiatives.
- Delegate tasks at the appropriate level and expect accountability and regular feedback at all times.
- Maintain transparent communication with all team members using department and team meetings as well as regular one-to-ones. Take initiative to identify and tackle underperformance using the appropriate informal/formal channels.
- Confidence and gravitas to encourage doing the right thing.
- Creative, proactive and enthusiastic, bringing new ideas to the table.
- Able to spot opportunities early and to deliver outcomes in collaboration with others.
- Able to present ideas and views clearly and with confidence to people at all levels, including partners and clients.
- Proactive and tenacious, capable of identifying, developing and gaining support for marketing and business development initiatives.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Flexible, adaptable and a good team player.
Ideally you will be able to demonstrate;
- An excellent level of understanding of the wider UK Real Estate market
- An excellent understanding of the professional services sales process.
- Expertise of pitching and tendering and the ability to advise on the process and project manage opportunities.
- Good writing skills, able to write persuasive and succinct prose
- Experience of developing profile building activities and supporting others in their awareness raising efforts.
- Experience of working within a professional services team.
- Demonstrable network of Real Estate contacts including advisers to the sector, influencers, third-party referrers and buyers of legal services (preferred).
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Staff Introductory Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
We are a London based, full-service law firm, specialising in providing straightforward advice to entrepreneurial businesses and individuals on domestic and international matters.
We have grown substantially in recent years, including two mergers and an office move. We’ve also matured in terms of our approach to providing advice to our clients, seeking to simplify and improve the experience of working with a modern, independent law firm.
We’re proud of our journey. Without losing sight of where we’ve come from, we are focused on where we’re going. We are evolving and growing every day. And just like our clients, we are ambitious and moving forward. Many of our clients are entrepreneurial, ambitious enterprises who are often privately or family owned, or private equity backed. We are one of the only London based law firms with a large private wealth offering alongside significant business law capability.
The firm also advises major corporates on particular specialist legal matters who find our straightforward approach a compelling alternative to larger, less personal firms.